The Medication Aide Program is designed to prepare Nurse Aides for the administration of medicines under supervision and guidance stipulated by the Texas Department of Aging and Disabilities Services, Medication Aide Permit Program. The students will learn the following topics.
- Procedures for preparation and administration of medications
- Responsibility, control, accountability, and storage of medications
- Use of reference material
- Documentation of medications in residents’ clinical records
- Lines of authority in the facility
- Responsibilities and liabilities associated with the administration and safeguarding of medication
- Allowable and prohibited practices of permit holders
- Medications commonly administered to facility residents
- Drug reactions and side effects of medications commonly administered to facility residents
- Rules governing the Medication Aide Training Program.
Students will learn how to use these skills and procedures through classroom and clinical hands-on training. The medication aide graduates will be qualified for entry-level employment as direct care staff in Long-Term or Personal Care Facilities, Correctional Settings or State Schools.